If you don’t follow us on Instagram you may not know that this cutie recently was diagnosed with cancer.
Mozart’s owner, Michelle, was recently interviewed on our site about all of the amazing work she does for one of our local cat rescues, Forgotten Ones Cat Rescue. I actually met her through adopting my own cat Kalista and have kept in touch since. A few weeks ago Michelle posted on Instagram about his tumour on September 6th and it breaks my heart to let you know that on September 25th Mozart crossed the rainbow bridge.
The day before Mozart was diagnosed his owner sent me an e-mail that stated that she had been listening to Fur Beau a lot and that even though he was having trouble breathing the music helped him calm down. She actually let me know that “Home” was his favourite song and so I asked her if I could write her a song for Mozart using inspiration from things he loved or images I could turn into music to commemorate his life. Michelle sent me the following list:
– Chickadees, crickets, squirrels, mourning doves, raccoons
– Wind rustling through tall grass and cat tails
– Running/trickling water because he has a water fountain
– He absolutely hates the sound of aluminum foil. I don’t know why, but it’s kind of funny
– Whenever I sneeze (just me – not sure why he doesn’t do it to anyone else) he makes this weird chirpy meow like he’s saying “bless you”
– The house door opening and the alarm beeps from it, the glass sliding doors opening
– The classic cat “click clacks” on hardwood floor, even though I keep his nails trimmed. He has an extra fingernail in between his “thumb” and regular toes
– Fridge door opening, because he always comes running thinking he’ll get a treat (typical of a cat)
– Scratching at doors (also typical)
– Da Purr-peller from Go Cat is his favourite! Definitely recommend it 🙂
– Catnip squares, and his handmade catnip toys in shapes of donuts, pizza, pancakes, bacon, and sushi
– Fingers, under the blankets or by the rail/banister of the stairs
– Pieces of paper through the cracks of a door that is ajar. He walks behind doors when he wants to play
– Anything that drags on the floor and makes noise
– Cooked chicken is his favourite treat. His guilty pleasure (and treat when he’s being extra good) is a small drop of sour cream (although this is super rare, and he never reacts poorly to it)
– Always steals a seat at the dinner table, so we just put out an extra chair for him so he can “eat” with us
– Always tries to cut you off when he’s walking up and down stairs. He does this especially on the right side – that’s why his portrait (the tattoo on my foot of him) is on the right.
– Sitting on stools. Any stool, anywhere.
– Soft fleece blankets are his favourite thing to knead on
– Sunflowers, since we put out sunflower seeds for birds and squirrels so he can watch them. Also, because sunflowers follow the sun, and he follows me around the house (that sounds silly when I type it out hahaha)
When I read this list I got very emotional. I personally didn’t know Mozart, but to see how perfectly Michelle knows him and all the unique quirks and traits about him make you think about how much you love your own pets.
Until his very last day, Michelle spoiled Mozart with enough love for a lifetime and it’s impossible not to know that he was happy with her. So thank you for giving such a precious kitty a great life. Michelle, you’re truly such a loving and caring soul and I know Mozart appreciated you as his foster parent. I know you’re missing your little sunflower, but he’s resting now getting ready to play with ya over the rainbow bridge!
The following is the song that was inspired by the list that I was provided to commemorate Mozart. Here’s to meeting you across the rainbow bridge where we’ll share sunflower kisses!